Only a short ferry ride from the mainland of Sumatra you will be welcomed to the gateway to Paradise.
The Mentawai Islands are is untouched tropical paradise and still remain unaffected by western influence unlike most destinations in Indonesia.
This gateway opens her arms with greetings of beautiful tropical islands, lush green trees, white sand, turquoise water and warm balmy weather. Amidst the breathtaking beauty the Mentawai Islands has more depth beneath the surface. The Islands make you feel like you are home, and encourage you to forget where you came from and what your life looks like, to be completely present and in awe. Relax and take it all in.
Reasons why you should visit the Mentawai Islands:
1. Deserted Islands. You can be dropped off on a tropical island and be the only human on it. Tick that off the bucket list. Ever dreamed of the movie Castaway?
2. World Class Diving. The Mentawai Islands is host to 75% of all the known coral species in the world and home to up to 2,0000 species of fish. The warm, clear blue water of the Indian Ocean is inviting and there is an abundance of life beneath the surface. Snorkelling, swimming, freediving or scuba diving there is always fun for everyone.
3. Jungle Trekking. The Mentawain Islands are covered in ancient rainforests, rare and exotic plant and animal species that are not found anywhere else in the world. A true tropical paradise that is equally beautiful in nature as it is culture.
4. The Traditional Sharman. The elusive native Mentawain people, unique and fascinating in their practices and beliefs. Distinctive ancient traditions to sharpen their teeth, tattoo their bodies and spiritual traditions are passed down from their ancestors and is a rare Indonesian Culture. To meet them and be in their presence is a once in a lifetime experience.
5. No Crowds. Going on a holiday without the chaos of crowds is an ideal escape. The less-visited Mentawai Islands are untouched by the masses, allowing you to relax and unwind.
6. Famous Sumatran Coffee. If you appreciate a good brew, the Sumatran coffee holds a deep and intense character to its flavours and doesn’t get any fresher. Waking up to a freshly brewed cup of local Sumatran coffee is the perfect way to start the day.
7. Coconuts straight from the tree. Forget coconut water in cans and cartons, go straight to the source. Coconuts plucked straight from the tree, provide the purest source of hydration and energy. Eating the soft coconut flesh afterwards equally as satisfying.
Simply put: Life is better in the Mentawai Islands.